Facebook Google Plus Instagram LinkedIn Twitter
Restricted Place notice on farm gateway

What's an Active Confirmed Property?

What’s an Active Confirmed property?
Restricted Place notice under Biosecurity Act 1993

An Active Confirmed Property is a farm with management group(s) (mobs) of cattle that have been determined to have Mycoplasma bovis (M. bovis).

A Restricted Place Notice (RP), which is the highest level of legal controls will be applied to the property restricting all cattle movements on and off farm, and the affected cattle covered by the RP notice will be depopulated (culled).

  • When is a Restricted Place notice issued?

    When we’ve determined that M. bovis is present and your property becomes an Active Confirmed property, you'll likely be issued with a Transitional Notice of Direction (T-NOD) first.

    A T-NOD allows the Programme time to determine which parts of your farm need to be included in the Restricted Place notice (RP), and which cattle should be placed under a NOD for further testing. The aim is to minimise the number of cattle which need to be culled.

    Key to this process are the Exotic Disease Investigation Report (EDIR) and Census.

    For some farms a T-NOD will not be necessary, and a Restricted Place notice (RP) will be issued immediately. Some farms will not progress from T-NOD to RP (if all of the infected cattle are already dead), however, they are still categorised as Confirmed Properties.

  • What controls apply under a Restricted Place notice?

    The RP Notice applies the highest level of legal control on movements of at risk goods/equipment and cattle.

    Some of the main controls include:

    • cattle cannot be moved in or out of the RP Notice area without a permit
    • all cattle within the RP Notice area will need to be culled (depopulated)
    • no at risk goods/equipment or cattle can be moved out of the RP area, except for cattle being transported to slaughter as arranged by the M. bovis Programme.


    Following depopulation, the RP areas will need to undergo Cleaning and Disinfection (C&D). The extent of C&D will depend on the type of farm and other risk factors. A 60-day stand down period (with no cattle on the property) may also apply.

  • What parts of the farm are affected?

    The areas of your farm where infected animals have been will be subject to the RP Notice, determined by:


    Your RP Notice will show the boundaries of the area to which the RP applies.

    Any parts of your farm outside the RP can continue operating as close to normal as possible, subject to any legal controls that may be in place.

Animal welfare

Remember you're always responsible for the welfare of animals under your care. If a farm is placed under movement restrictions, your animal welfare responsibilities do not change. More information on animal welfare responsibilities.

Health and Safety

 Click on the image to enlarge it.

Farmer tip

Having strong biosecurity practices, excellent record-keeping and keeping mobs of cattle separate, can mean you’re more likely to have only parts of your farm put under a RP notice and your farm partially depopulated.

Support through the process

  • Farm Systems Manager

    You will continue to have a Farm Systems Manager (FSM), who will act as your primary point of contact. They will work with you on a Farm Recovery Plan tailored to your operation.

    They will help you to:

    • plan how to farm through to the lifting of your Restricted Place Notice
    • reduce the impact of any losses you incur
    • help manage operational costs (costs associated with the restrictions which wouldn’t normally be incurred)
    • work out a strategy to get you back to business as usual as soon as possible.


    We recognise that this is likely to be a stressful and challenging time for you and your family.

    You don’t need to get through this on your own. There is a lot of support available and we recommend you also reach out for support from friends, family, organisations like the Rural Support Trust and other farmers who have been through the process and offered their support. We can also put you in touch with support networks.

Initial steps towards recovery from M. bovis

  • 1. Legal Controls/Movement Restrictions

    Strict restrictions will be placed on the movement of cattle and other goods both onto and off your property.

    Transitional Notice of Direction (T-NOD)
    You will likely receive a Transitional Notice of Direction (T-NOD) while the area of your farm that is to go under a Restricted Place Notice is determined. A ‘T-NOD’, restricts the movement of cattle both onto and off of your property. The T-NOD will remain in place while a census of cattle on your farm and an Exotic Disease Investigation Report (EDIR) are completed (if not already done). 

    Restricted Place Notice (RP Notice)
    Once information in the census, EDIR and test results have been reviewed by the Programme, the affected areas of your farm will be placed under a ‘Restricted Place Notice’ (RP). All cattle within the boundary of the RP Notice need to be culled.

  • 2. Inform your neighbours and others that need to know

    Your neighbours who have cattle or buffalo need to be told that your farm, or part of your farm, has become an Active Confirmed Property and will be going under an RP Notice.

    If you’re not comfortable doing this yourself, you can ask your Farm Systems Manager to do this with you, or on your behalf.

    Informing your neighbours can be done in person or over the phone, but must be done within five days of receiving your RP Notice.

    Your neighbours will receive an information pack explaining what it means to border a farm that has M. bovis. It will also reassure them that the controls in place mean there’s very little risk of the infection spreading to their property.

    Once your neighbours have been informed signs like this will be placed at your farm gates to ensure visitors follow the necessary biosecurity procedures when arriving at and leaving your farm.

    We also recommend that you inform your vet, farm adviser, employees, and potentially your bank.

    Ask your Farm Systems Manager about who you might need to inform.

  • 3. Testing on other related properties

    Testing is also necessary on other properties that are owned or managed by the owner or manager of an Active Confirmed Property, to ensure that they are not infected.

    Cattle on these properties have been found to have an increased risk of M. bovis infection due to the potential for unrecorded movements of cattle, milk and/or equipment to or from the Active Confirmed Property, and/or because often cattle on these properties have been sourced from the same or similar places.

    Depending on the level of infection risk the farms may be subject to testing under Active Surveillance or subject to movement controls under a Notice of Direction.

    On farms where a RP Notice only covers an area of the property (not the whole property), testing of nearby groups of cattle which are on the property, but outside the boundaries of the RP Notice, is required to ensure they are not infected with M. bovis.

    The information about other properties owned or managed should be documented in the Exotic Disease Investigation Report (EDIR) for your Active Confirmed Property. The Programme will discuss testing requirements for these properties with you.

  • 4. Costs and Compensation

    Cover for operational costs outside business-as-usual and compensation is available.

    Under the Biosecurity Act 1993, compensation can be paid when MPI has exercised legal powers under the Act that have caused you a loss as a result of:

    • damage to, or destruction of, your property, including cattle
    • restrictions imposed on the movement or disposal of goods and cattle.

    To be eligible for compensation, you must be able to:

    • verify (provide information of) the loss
    • show that you took reasonable steps to mitigate (reduce or avoid) the loss.
    Free compensation assistance

    Early in the process we recommend that you talk to DBCAT (DairyNZ and Beef + Lamb NZ Compensation Assistance Team) who can help you put your compensation claim together.

    DBCAT provides a free service supported by MPI and run independently by DairyNZ and Beef + Lamb NZ.

    They will help you to:

    • understand whether you can get compensation
    • clarify what losses you can claim for
    • work through the compensation claim forms
    • advise you about the compensation claim process.

    Find out more about compensation and how it works